Sunday, November 20, 2011

My Childhood Web

"Who am I?" is most definitely a relative question, a more accurately stated question is "Who have I become thus far?" As I have been reading through this weeks articles, one point stands out to me as something I tend to forget from day to day - especially when dealing with my students. We are all a product of our environment and what we bring to the table is a combination of influences and experiences throughout our lives. Our families are our first and most influential teachers and it is through those experiences that we view the world, including education.  (Woodhead, 2005) (Christian, 2006)  
I feel fortunate to have had a supportive and loving family coupled with a "small town" community and an educational system that fostered my development from the early years through grade twelve. Check out my presentation for more information on a few of the key players in my life.


(Popping out the presentation will make it be easier to read)

    Garris Christian, L. (2006). Understanding families: Applying family systems theory to early childhood practice. Young Children, 61(1), 12–20.

    Woodhead, M. (2005). Early childhood development: A question of rights. International Journal of Early Childhood, 37(3), 79–98.

    2 comments:

    1. I love how you decribe your relationship with your grandparents and how they loved you and everyone else but never made you feel as if one grandchild was loved more than the others. My grandparents make sure to do that with my cousins and I as well. We are the only three grandchildren and even though we are adults they make sure to show their love equally. If they help one granchild out they make sure they do the same for the others. This equality has helped my cousins and I not fight over things or time with my grandparents as we have grown. One memory that sticks out to me is a Christmas where my grandparents was helping "Santa" by taking my cousin and I to pick out the bikes we wanted Santa to bring for Christmas. Since I went to private school and my cousin went to public school we didn't have the same days off so they went to the toy store twice to look at bikes. One day for my cousin and the next day for me. They never complained about making two trips or how that probably inconvenienced them they just smiled and cheered for us on Christmas Eve when we were riding our new bikes from Santa around their basement!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I know that I get frustrated with my mom sometimes because she is so careful to be equitable with each of her 9 grandchildren and now 6 great grandchildren, but I it makes sense when I consider your comment. I suppose that is what my grandparents did and I am sure I will do as well. Thanks for the perspective!

      ReplyDelete