Thursday, May 17, 2012

International Communication Continued

Good Evening (or morning, afternoon, night depending on when you are reading this!),
I am excited to share some good news and some not so good news...
I have a "friend" from Mali, Africa!!!
(Unfortunately, I don't really know his name yet.) Sounds strange, but it's true.

Since everyone was experiencing so many challenges on the email route, I thought I would try a different avenue: Facebook. I started with the Association for Childhood Education International home page, and began sending requests to random people who also "liked" the site. Low and behold - I got a response! I believe his name is Mahamadou Cisse, but I can't be sure. His Facebook Username is Appel du Mali, vision sur un continent which translates into Call of Mali, a vision of continent.
I then followed his Facebook links to his Blog: http://mahamadouc.blogspot.com/p/cible.html which is where I found what I believe to be his name. (This could sound like stalking if I wasn't actually conversing with the man.)

We have only be chatting for a little over a week, but already I am amazed by what I have learned. One of the most intersesting elements is that his Blog and Facebook pages are in French! (Hooray for Google Translator!) To my relief, though, he also speaks English. He is a student at the University studying Literatures and Civilizations of english countries ( England and United States). But I do say that finding information on his pages is fun and I may just learn a little French before all is said and done.

Mahamadouc is not really an Early Childhood professional, but is very active in regards to education in Africa. Graciously, he has passed my request on to several of his colleagues who are in the EC field. In our latest communique he spoke of the severe inadequacy of the education system, mentioning that most urban, public schools may have up to 200 students per teacher and that rural schools are exponentially worse!  It came as no big surprise that Mahameadouc also says that there is a definite line between the "haves" and "have nots" and that only the more affluent can afford to spend money on their chidren's education.

I so look forward to continuing our conversations as well as the prospect of meeting even more friends around the globe that can aid me in my journey to understanding the plight and prosperity of children all over the world.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    Its exciting that you have finally found someone to connect it and share views from your learnings,that is a smart move, may be I should try your style but please be careful and try to monitor what's going on.(Just joking). Poverty is universal and it is not surprising to me to hear that there is a big difference between the haves and the have nots. This is really where poverty is evident. In Africa, very few can really afford good education and so poverty is perpetuated, It is sad. We must become advocates for governments to take responsibility for the education of the citizens so that poverty can reduce and the future of the world secured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    Good thinking to use Facebook. How interesting to actually get a perspective on education in another country from someone who is actually living there. I am sure that poverty is something that people see every day and it is to bad that education is a privilege and not a right for children in Africa.

    ReplyDelete