Wednesday, October 31, 2012

And the Best Communicator Award goes to..


My dearest friend, Terri, has to be the most effective communicator I know. She listens attentively to whomever is speaking, is highly sensitive to non-verbal and environmental cues, and responds appropriately with whatever is needed at the time – support, advice, admonition. Terri and I met during the first semester of our secondary ed program at ASU but, according to her, I was a complete snot to her until the next term! But once we “met” and got to know each other we became fast friends; despite the distance that has separated us for years, we can still pick up where we left off every time.
I often find myself wishing I shared Terri’s gift for communication (and perhaps after this course I will have come closer). I hang up the phone and realize that I have monopolized the conversation or part ways wondering if I was as available to her as she has always been for me. Of the things that I admire the most are her abilities to stand for her convictions and to read a situation almost instantaneously. She will never give advice or support in a way that conflicts with her beliefs, and she is exceptionally aware of the surroundings and how they may potentially effect herself and others. More importantly sometimes is her amazing aptitude for picking up on cultural idiosyncrasies (no negative connotation intended) and respond sensitively without any noticeable effort at all! When we taught together my first year, I learned so much about the cultures at our schools that helped me survive an environment in which I had never before been exposed.

3 comments:

  1. Laura~
    You are blessed to have such a great friend. It really means something when people listen to the things that you are saying and really try to help you throughout the process.

    We communicate for many reasons; to vent, to express how we feel, to relay information and etc. It is good knowing that the stress is off of your chest and you are headed toward the next step.

    Hang in there. I have realized that I am not the most effective communicator either. By the end of this course, I am pretty positive that we both will learn things to help us be more effective.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    Terri sounds like a wonderful friend!

    What I think is really great is that you pay attention to your communciation styles and examine them. I find that sometimes I do the same thing. I realize that I dominated conversation, and then I feel terrible. Currently I am teaching a course, where I obviously have to dominate conversation, but I have to closely monitor myself and make sure that I am paying attention to the nonverbal cues of the trainees. Often, adults don't like to ask questions, especially on topics they feel they should know! I have to closely monitor body langauge, expressions all while remembering what I'm trying to say, remembering to speak loud enough, and battling the anxiety of standing in a large room full of people. There is so much to being an effective communicator, and this only brushes the surface!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    Your friend is very wonderful. She is a real communicator, who is patient and listen to people. I am not so patient or sensitive with people to read their non-verbal responses and make meaning out of those responses. It is a blessing to have a friend who is so versatile in communication skills.

    ReplyDelete