Friday, May 17, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE community: What possibilities lie ahead?


What a reality check – to look into the future and imagine myself in another career! It seems I only need determine a direction and the opportunities abound in this growing field.

At first, I was unsure where to even start looking for available employment opportunities but ended up finding an abundance of interesting prospects at www.azjobconnection.gov .

The first posting that caught my attention was for a Quality First! Coach with the Association for Supportive Child Care here in Tempe, Arizona. Quality First is Arizona’s response to the deep budget cuts to early education that provides support and training to centers who wish to improve the overall quality of their programs as well as support for families of small children in need of quality care. The job would entail visiting sites enrolled in the program and provide them with guidance and feedback regarding their progress in the Quality First Improvement rating system. It would also include mentoring and training opportunities. The only skills that I would have to brush up on are the specifications for the ITERS, ECERS, FCCERS, CLASS, and other assessment tools used in the industry. My passion for ensuring that all children have access to quality care and education is highly compatible to the mission of this organization – “creating a family-centered, comprehensive, collaborative and high-quality early childhood system that supports the development, health and early education of all Arizona's children birth through age five.” (www.azftf.gov, 2010)

The next position that I found intriguing was a Cohort Adjunct in Early Childhood Education for Grand Canyon University in Phoenix. Although there were two adjunct positions available, I find the cohort aspect interesting as I would be working with the same group of students as they progress through the program. Additionally, Grand Canyon is a private, Christian university that offers a wide variety of programs in a variety of modalities, but this assignment would be face-to-face and enable me to implement a great deal of the strategies learned throughout these last 9 courses! Although one of the preferred qualifications is an Early Childhood Endorsement (which I do not have yet) I do possess ample skills and experience to become a viable applicant.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find solid information on job opportunities with the Arizona Department of Health Services Empower Program which is where my heart truly lies at the moment. As you will see throughout the course of this term, my Capstone Project is based on improving my center’s implementation of the Empower standards towards the goal of helping the children and families that we serve adopt healthy habits that will last a lifetime. The aim is to undermine childhood obesity’s hold on the youngest generation while lessening its grip on the rest of the family as well.
Ideally, I would like to become part of the task force that helps organize and present trainings for early childhood educators around the state.

After exploring these and several more options, I am encouraged and challenged to continue growing professionally. I am feeling more confident every week that I can become an advocate for positive change and make a real difference in the lives of children – Thank You, Walden, and Everyone who I have met and worked with because of them!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, First Thing First sounds like a wonderful program. It support quality in the classroom and provides the resources to obtain quality. To offer mentoring and training opportunities for child care providers is a way to raise the level of quality. My passion is quality early childhood program for ALL children, so the program is headed in the right direction. I work for a similar program as Technical Assistance Provider for a QRIS program in my community.It is called Quality Counts: http://spartanburgqualitycounts.org/

    Thanks for Sharing,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea,
      Just a quick look at this website reflects a very beneficial organization! Our center is not actually participating in FTF yet, but I hope to enroll by next fall. I have, however, been attempting to establish many of the components over the years.
      Thanks!
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Andrea,
    As you mentioned, this field is growing rapidly. Although there is not a position available, where your heart truly wants to be, at the moment, positions are often becoming available. Check in a few weeks once you graduate, and who knows, your dream may come true. The best of luck with your search and with empower educators!!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,

    The same as you, throughout this assignment I found out that I do not have the endorsements or certifications needed for some of the available positions. Having realized that now I have to get specific certificates or credentials reminds me Keyser’s words when stating that as teachers we are continuously growing and learning (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011). I consider that the more we grow professionally, the more we will be able to advocate for and work more effectively within the field.

    Are you applying for any of the available positions?

    Thanks for sharing Laura!

    Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Merging Vision, Passion, and Practice [Multimedia Program]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_2820610_1%26url%3D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the two actual possitions, I would be most tempted to apply for the Adjunct position, but I am committed for the next year at my current school. If, however an opportunity arose with Empower I would have to consider it!

      Delete
  4. Laura,
    I have not heard of these organizations before. Thank you for posting this information. I included the National Education Association because it is a community of practice that has diverse members around the country. Teachers join and contribute to this organization, and its goal is to improve education.

    ReplyDelete