Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Beyond Borders: Reaching Children Everywhere


One of the greatest consequences of this degree program has been the opportunity to expand significantly beyond my comfort zone and look at early childhood from a global perspective. Many resources have stretched my perspectives to include educational practices from countries like Australia. At one point I successfully established communications with Mohamed from Mali, Africa on the subject of education. Most recently, the reality of prospective employment now that this goal has been realized and I have attained this degree. (OK, so I don’t have diploma in hand, but I’m optimistic!)

This week I step beyond the borders of the US, looking for ways to impact children’s education around the world. My first stop is UNESCO’s Education for All (EFA) program. UNESCO’s commitment to provide a quality education for children around the world resonates with my desire to see this dream become a reality even in my own back yard. As corny as their goal of “world peace” may sound, what grander endeavor is there for future generations? After all, each great accomplishment begins with a small step and an eager faction. Unfortunately, my inability to speak French and my lack of extensive managerial experience precludes the possibility for employment with this organization at this time, but it does not impede my continued efforts on other fronts.


My next stop is the Children’s Rights International Network (CRIN) who, among other things, advocate heavily for equity in education for millions of children around the world. CRIN recognizes that “a quality education encourages children’s participation and critical thinking and is infused with the values of peace and human dignity - has the power to transform societies in a single generation” (CRIN, 2013, para 2). What better weapon is there against the war on poverty and oppression? Unfortunately, since this is a small organization of dedicated individuals, job postings are rare which speaks to the dedication of the individuals as well as the cohesion of the group as a whole.

Finally, Save the Children’s education program caught my attention. Through programs like Literacy Boost, Save the Children is working to alleviate illiteracy throughout many parts of the world. Already significant successes have been achieved, thus expanding their efforts. In part, this success is attributed to the concept of community education and the dedication to teach entire communities to read and write with the ultimate goal of escaping poverty and fulfilling their potential.

Within this organization I did find an opening for an Education Program Manager whose primary tasks would include the organization, presentation, and evaluation of extensive educational efforts in Somaliland. This challenging position would not only require a post-graduate degree, but experience in project planning, mentoring, and management in addition to highly developed cultural awareness and willingness to travel.

Although I honestly don’t see myself pursuing a position overseas, I am intrigued by the concept. Perhaps an opportunity to volunteer for a time with any of these organizations would spur a deeper desire to engage at that level, but for now – there is a lot of work to be done here are home.

Children’s Rights International Network [CRIN]. (2013). Education. Retrieved from http://www.crin.org/themes/ViewTheme.asp?id=7

Save the Children. (2013). Education. Retrieved from http://www.savethechildren.net/what-we-do/education

United Nations Education, Scientific, and Cultural Organization [UNESCO]. (2011). Education for All. Retrieved from http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=15730&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

5 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    It is great to be optimistic! I enjoyed reading your blog you have share great international organization. Children's Rights International Network (CRIN) caught my attention in your blog. I would like to work in that organization as an Education Manager. I love the title you gave your blog. It was a perfect title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    I agree that our work throughout our Walden journey has introduced us to many new things even as "seasoned" early childhood professionals. The organizations you discussed do some amazing work. I am familiar with Save the Children since I have been a contributor for several years. I love donating to their programs in family and friend's names as gifts. Their projects are so unique and really serve serious issues all over the world. I share your feeling that while it was interesting to read about the international opportunities, there is much we can do in our own communities and our country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    In your summary of UNESCO's objectives around the world, I can definitely say that I feel your passion for the care of young children - our future generations and world leaders. I think that UNESCO, UNICEF, Save the Children...each provide quality, but different advocacy and support to children - focusing on the educational aspects, quality of home life, health and disease prevention, and safety, among so many other things. Our work with children today will certainly take toll in the shaping of our world and communities tomorrow.
    Thank you for sharing! Keep up the great passion!
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,
    I agree that this course has provided a lot of information about organizations that provde assistance and programs to combat poverty and hunger, and to improve education. CRIN and Save the Children are excellent organizations that provide programs and assistance to children. I have donated to the Save the Children fund in the past, and I would love to work for the organization.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,

    Your search included some great organizations! Although I did not include Save the Children in my posting, I have always held a special place in my heart for this international organization. I would love to apply for the position you speak of in your blog. My only obstacle in this specific work would be to hold extensive knowledge in various cultures.

    Each one of the organizations you have listed conduct such gratifying work, it would be a great challenge to pick just one.

    ReplyDelete