Saturday, January 7, 2012

Birth Story Plus

I hear other birth stories or know of women (like my sister) who labor for a couple of hours and then push a few times and voilĂ , out pops their bundle of joy and they are ready to go home! Well – I am definitely NOT like those women so I’ll fill you in on how things went for me.

My first delivery was very difficult and had to be induced. I also had an epidural which I was convinced was part of the problem since I couldn’t push effectively without the use of my legs. I vowed that my second pregnancy would be much different – a much “better” experience.  The pregnancy was relatively normal with only a false reading on the AFP at 16 weeks to upset the apple cart, but a normal amniocentesis calmed our fears.  This time I also asked my best friend to be my labor attendant since my husband was less than enthusiastic about the job. She and I spent weeks preparing for the big day by finding just the right music, the right “visuals” and practicing relaxation techniques; I was determined not to have any pain medication this time. Yet again however, I went well past my due date. This time the doctor only waited a week before inducing my labor. So we packed up and headed for the hospital: me, Terri (my coach), my mom and my husband (who pretty much just dropped us off, left and came back later). I was induced and even though the contractions were irregular in strength and frequency they still hurt like a Big Dog!(I don’t’ really know what that means, I just say it a lot.) Not all of the relaxation techniques worked but I was still determined not to have an epidural. After several hours, more pitocine was added to my IV and my contractions became more regulated and much stronger but my daughter was still taking her sweet time showing herself to the world. Eventually, after an eternity (ok probably more like an hour or so) of pushing our beautiful baby girl finally arrived just before midnight. She began nursing with little or no problem. The only other thing I remember at that point was that the doctor had to “fish out” the pieces of placenta that detached during delivery – when I yelped and wiggled he yelled at me and told me to be still or it would hurt worse!

I’m sure I rested well for the hours that followed but, in the morning the pediatrician came in after checking out the baby and told me that she would have to stay another night. Since she was overdue, her bowels had emptied prior to delivery and she had aspirated the meconium. It wasn’t a huge concern, but they wanted to monitor her breathing to be safe. I have never felt a more empty feeling than having to leave the hospital that night without my baby girl in my arms - I don’t know how parents who have to leave their newborns there for days or weeks do it. But we met the doctor bright and early the next morning and he gave the all clear so my mom and I brought her home.

As I began to research how this experience compared to other women’s birthing experiences from around the world, I chanced upon one website, www.bellybelly.com.au , and was struck with the large number of women in Australia whose tales were woefully similar. The next article I found, however, was intriguingly unexpected.  WHEN I HAD MY BABY HERE! relays the birth experiences of Hmong and Viatnamese women living in Australia and how they felt compelled to  compromise or relinquish their traditional practices because of hospital protocol (Rice, 1994).  The women spoke of various cultural norms that are contrary to the practices of Western medicine, from birthing procedures to a month long period of confinement afterwards. One woman explained that in Asia, Hmong women typically gave birth at home, alone or with the assistance of their mother. If the Hmong husband is present his involvement is minimal, he only helps cut the cord and clean the baby, moreover, Vietnamese men are not allowed in the room at all during delivery. So being thrust into a room with a multitude of medical personnel and perhaps even another mother is a very strange and unsettling environment.  I recall at one point counting 8 or 9 people in my room and Lord only knows what parts of me were exposed at the time and I can honestly say that I did not care! I think some of them may have even been medical students, no idea. I just wanted to get that baby out and the stop the pain.

These women are also expected to avoid showering and confine themselves for 30 days postpartum. Their traditions dictate that they either take warm sponge baths or steam baths for the month following the baby’s arrival and that they remain at home, inactive to allow their bodies to regain strength and stay healthy. Western norms insist that women shower before leaving the hospital and walk as soon as possible. Speaking for myself, I was only too happy to allow my mother-in-law the privilege of watching my newborn so that I could go to the grocery store for a few minutes. I still wasn’t moving very quickly, but I just couldn’t sit still.

The most interesting aspect of the article was the parallel of Smidt’s text readings for the week and the consistent reference to Western medical practices and their assumption that their ways of delivery were better and more appropriate. Unfortunately, there was no consideration for the cultures of the Hmong and Vietnamese mothers who, on occasion, had cause to second guess their own traditions and practices under the guidance of hospital staff. Moreover, these particular instances were often followed by expressions of regret from the mother who wished that she had listened to her family instead.  This article echoes the idea that child development research has been criticized for reflecting primarily Western and European cultural norms and traditions (Smidt, 2006, p 3) except that the focus is on prenatal and postnatal care.

Birth Stories and Augmentation (2012). Retrieved on January 7, 2012 from http://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth-stories/induction-and-augmentation-birth-stories

Janelle (2005). Matthew’s Birth (Birth Stories and Augmentation. [Forum Post]. Retrieved on January 7, 2012 from http://www.bellybelly.com.au/general/birth-of-matthew-2005

Katheryn (2004). Lachlan’s Birth (Birth Stories and Augmentation. [Forum Post]. Retrieved on January 7, 2012 from http://www.bellybelly.com.au/general/birth-of-lachlan-2004

Rice, P.L.(1994) When I Had My Baby Here!. Asian Mothers, Australian Birth - Pregnancy, Childbirth and Childrearing: The Asian Experience in an English-Speaking Country. Melbourne: Ausmed Publications, 1994. Retrieved on January 7, 2012 from http://www.hmongnet.org/hmong-au/preg2.htm  

Smidt, S. (2006). The developing child in the 21st century: A global perspective on child development. New York, NY: Routledge.

2 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I must say after reading your article I had a flash back of 32 years ago when I had my first baby. You discription was so vivid that I almost felt like I was there. I can imagine how you felt leaving your daughter in the hospital. My daughter had to leave my grandson in the hospital for 6 week and that was very hard for the whole family. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Laura,
    I really enjoyed reading your personal birthing experiences. I believe births are like fingerprints or snowflakes and no two are alike. I have only one child but in talking with my friends, we all had different emotions surrounding the birthing process. I believe you made a good point that professionals need to be mindful of their words when talk to new moms. What may make logical sense to them can be hurtful to the mother. In addition, some of my friends were convinced they had done something wrong because their child's birth was different from the ones in the pregnancy books. Nice meeting you.

    ReplyDelete